Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dealing with an Eating Disorder

It`s surprising how many people do not know how common eating disorders really are!

According to the South Carolina Department of Health:

• It is estimated that 8 million Americans have an eating disorder – seven million women and one million men

• One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia


• Two to three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia

• Nearly half of all Americans personally know someone with an eating disorder

• An estimated 10 – 15% of people with anorexia or bulimia are males

Reading those stats really opened up my own eyes, even though I have previously suffered from an eating disorder myself. Especially the last statement: "An estimated 10 – 15% of people with anorexia or bulimia are males", since I am a young man who suffered from bulimia nervosa . You can read all about my story on the Squidoo Lens here: Eating Disorders and News.

It really just goes to show you that you never really know what someone is going through personally. For years I didn`t know my sister/best friend was actually bulimic. I knew she ate a lot and stayed thin, but I had no idea she was binging and purging. I thought she was just blessed with a higher metabolism than me, or she worked out more than I did. Little did I know she was slowing killing herself and was dealing with major depression issues.

So, before you judge next time, think twice. You never know what someone is really going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment