It`s surprising how many people do not know how common eating disorders really are!
According to the South Carolina Department of Health:
• It is estimated that 8 million Americans have an eating disorder – seven million women and one million men
• One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia
• Two to three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia
• Nearly half of all Americans personally know someone with an eating disorder
• An estimated 10 – 15% of people with anorexia or bulimia are males
Reading those stats really opened up my own eyes, even though I have previously suffered from an eating disorder myself. Especially the last statement: "An estimated 10 – 15% of people with anorexia or bulimia are males", since I am a young man who suffered from bulimia nervosa . You can read all about my story on the Squidoo Lens here: Eating Disorders and News.
It really just goes to show you that you never really know what someone is going through personally. For years I didn`t know my sister/best friend was actually bulimic. I knew she ate a lot and stayed thin, but I had no idea she was binging and purging. I thought she was just blessed with a higher metabolism than me, or she worked out more than I did. Little did I know she was slowing killing herself and was dealing with major depression issues.
So, before you judge next time, think twice. You never know what someone is really going through.